A Monument for the First Gay Emancipation Movement
Fri, Nov 6–Sun, Nov 15, 2015
In the year 1897, the Scientific-Humanitarian Committee was founded in Berlin. It was the world’s first organization to campaign for the abolition of legal persecution of homosexuals. Its initiator, Magnus Hirschfeld, built the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft in 1919 on the grounds of today’s Haus der Kulturen der Welt.
Next year, a monument will be erected on the shore of the Spree for this first gay movement. The designs developed in cooperation with the Berlin University of Arts will be presented at HKW.
In cooperation with the Lesbian and Gay Federation Berlin-Brandenburg