Date: index | prev | next     Thread: index | prev | next     Author index

Cultural Exchange via Internet - Opportunities and Strategies
Forum of the House of World Cultures, Berlin, 12 October, 1998 - ... open end

Subject:Re: Re:Internet exhibition?
Date:Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:37
Author:Alfred Tay  [alfred@sperio.com]
Reply To:forum1@hkw.kbx.de

Breidenbach,

Personally i am working on a photographic series that may somewhat pertain to your concerns. Could you please provide more information? Are you asking for submission proposals? When is this happening?

Thank you.

Alfred Tay
Art Coordinator

SPERIO.com - Virtual Arts Archive
http://www.sperio.com/

Breidenbach wrote:
At this point I have a question also relating to an exhibition. I'm envolved in an exhibition in Dresden, Germany, about western stereotypes of 1. "africans", 2. "gypsies", 3. "asians", 4. "orientals", 5. "jews" and 6."american indians". The idea of the curator is to demonstrate the dominant western stereotypes (mostly concerning bodily aspects of the groups depicted, evoking fascination and anxiety, like the passive but willing asian woman, the jewish nose etc.) and than "breaking" these stereotypes by showing objects, works of art, internet sites etc. which contradict or play with this stereotypical representation. If any of you out there have ideas about material suited for an exhibition which deconstructs the above mentioned stereotypes I'd be very thankful if you droped me a line under Breidenbach@compuserve.com
Joana Breidenbach
Berlin

©   Texts are the property of individual authors

Date: index | prev | next     Thread: index | prev | next     Author index

home  |  theme  |  modalities  |  documentation / statements  |  evaluation  |  links

Forum of the House of World Cultures, Berlin, on the use of Internet in the cultural exchange with and between Africa, Asia/Pacific and Latin America.

Project direction: Gerhard Haupt - haupt@uinic.de
©  House of World Cultures, Berlin. 1998