Cultural Exchange via Internet - Opportunities and Strategies
Forum of the House of World Cultures, Berlin, 12 October, 1998 - ... open end

Subject:Re: Global-Adverts+Content
Date:Wed, 09 Dec 1998 11:52
Author:||||||||S\a\\|||m  [sam@media.com.au]
Reply To:forum1@hkw.kbx.de

Hi Pedro, Hector + Others,

Pedro says:
I would argue the point Sam, by looking at it a bit differently. Go to any advertising agency, and they will acknowledge that they can not use the same advertisement on a universal scale. Each campagin has to be adjusted to the idiosyncrasy of each culture, age group, gender, etc. etc.

Definitely - Think Global Act Local ;) my point is that 'they' know how to control our behaviour - and that's across all cultures. 'They' have strategies for promoting the same products/services [content] to Asians to Australians to Africans to XXX - they'll adapt to different psychologies, attitudes and views - different triggers. There are cultural differences to appoaching the same product/service. The campaign for each particular culture - ie. market - will take that into consideration. I guess that's all I was trying to get across - the fact that we are all consuming products and services from the multi-nat-corps - or on our way to begining to consume products and services from multi-nat-corps. In that way, 'same-ness' has/will be achieved. The message will - at the end of the day - at the end of the television-set or computer screen or customised channel - be the same --> consume this product or service.

Pedro says:
good me as a person, for the item being manufactured and the advertising that is required. My version of TIME magazine does not carry any advertising for things I do not care about, quite the contrary, it brings me ads of those items I am interested in, and I do want the information

Mmmm. Not sure about this one. I'd say that content that is included and associated with Time Magazine [adverts and articles and offers] are strategically [somehow] beneficial to the coporation that owns Time Magazine [ted turner right???]... And possibly - it may have customised to so that you will be interested in those adverts - but what it will do is limit randomness - limit serendepity - limit the chance of the alternate voice (for product or information). If I wanted to be more extreme - I would say that the articles included within Time magazine are there - placed - to cross-promote the other business interests that belong to the owners and shareholders of Time magazine. The competition has place in the publication - unless the competition becomes a collusion and the relationship becomes an illusion.

Hector says:
The new companies with new products also are using segmented advertising because they need to break the uniform consumption behavior what favour the trasnational economic establishment. I think the way of consumption and the way of exercise the Power will be uniform in the future because the institutions, and the mechanisms for these are similar around the world.

This is a really good point. I guess I am trying to think of 'things' in terms of content. For the marginalised content producers - ie. artists - we'd have to develop a segmented advertising strategy - if we were to somehow compete with mass entertainment content... unless of course we had something completely revolutionary.

Juan José Díaz Infante says:
The future society will not be a global tribe the way Negroponte or McLuhan stated. It will be a global tribe made of spores. Gómez-Peña has done reference to it in his essays in "The warrior of the Gringostroyka" and his concepts based on "The other side". I think is very important the correct analisys of the dynamics of communications to be able to understand and conceptualize projects in Internet.

Could you post more information on to this list please - I think I saw some of Gómez-Peña work in Chicago during ISEA97 - and it was very interesting... Did he do the pirate television intervention show?

Below are some words that I'd be interested to get some feedback on:

The grid [the web] has already been placed over our planet - and each square or segment has been categorised and allocated. Only those who have been allocated with a segment - those who belong to the club - the alliance - have a voice - can communicate - can determine - can influence - can control. We - the voice that does not exist - have now to develop new strategies to struggle - to argue - to debate - to criticise the club - the mainstream - the power - the authority.

The content we produce - the content that is against the status quo - the content that is not intended for the mass-media - may have a place - but will never receive distribution. After all - the ability for anyone to upload content onto the web - is limited. Soon - we will require a license - and soon the web will become very much like the television - and email will become very much like the telephone.

adios for now, sam.

---------------------------------------------
The more sensitive a young individual is, the
more prone they probably are to despair.

©   Texts are the property of individual authors

Date: index | prev | next     Thread: index | prev | next     Author index

home  |  theme  |  modalities  |  documentation / statements  |  evaluation  |  links

Forum of the House of World Cultures, Berlin, on the use of Internet in the cultural exchange with and between Africa, Asia/Pacific and Latin America.

Project direction: Gerhard Haupt - haupt@uinic.de
©  House of World Cultures, Berlin. 1998