Date: index | prev | next     Thread: index | prev | next     Author index

Cultural Exchange via Internet - Opportunities and Strategies
Forum of the House of World Cultures, Berlin, 12 October, 1998 - ... open end

Subject:Re:dialogues in and out the net
Date:Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:56
Author:Cristina Ferran Jadick  [mjadick@sprynet.com]
Reply To:forum1@hkw.kbx.de

Pedro, I agree with you and Ricardo, but if you don't mind, I would add a little to your argument. The use of "I" along with autobiographical information should be provided by net users for the purpose of improving overall communication through better understanding. What I mean is that when we use the internet to communicate with each other, we do not have the benefit of the usual visual (gestures, facial expressions, body language)and oral (voice tone, modulations and inflections) cues which normally provide specific context for meaning in face to face dialogue. Therefore,on the net, the autobiographical information provided in the form of "I" text, serves as a functional equivalent to visual and oral cues by giving us the background to develop a perspective from which to interpret the words we're reading...and truly understand not only what is being said but what is really meant.
What do you think?

©   Texts are the property of individual authors

Date: index | prev | next     Thread: index | prev | next     Author index

home  |  theme  |  modalities  |  documentation / statements  |  evaluation  |  links

Forum of the House of World Cultures, Berlin, on the use of Internet in the cultural exchange with and between Africa, Asia/Pacific and Latin America.

Project direction: Gerhard Haupt - haupt@uinic.de
©  House of World Cultures, Berlin. 1998