Date: index | prev | next     Thread: index | prev | next     Author index

Cultural Exchange via Internet - Opportunities and Strategies
Forum of the House of World Cultures, Berlin, 12 October - 4 December, 1998

[as of December 1st 1998 the forum has been prolonged - ... open-ended]

Subject:Re: Cultural Exchange
Date:Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:39
Author:Anjali Arora  [anjali@artbrush.net]
Reply To:forum1@hkw.kbx.de

I quite agree with Alfred Tay re the Internet being full of opportunity.

I can speak from personal experience that the Net can enrich life by opening up huge vistas which were otherwise not available. I live in India, and as an educated woman, quietly lamented that not enough opportunity was available to this section of women, who are not able to seek work outside the home because of young children (childcare facilities being quite inadequate). The alternative was to stagnate, as there really is not much one could do from home.

But with the Internet, I feel a world of difference. During my years at home, I gradually drifted to the arts, and painting to be precise. I have now put up my work on my own website at http://www.artbrush.net/. It is a great convenience and very exhilarating that your work is up before a world-wide audience.

I have also in the process had to learn new skills re site management. Today, my husband and son are actively involved in sprucing up the site. I am also developing new skills in the areas of web graphics. It is quite unbelievable how the Net has changed our lives. The family spends a lot of time excitedly discussing new ideas and techniques.

And this seems to be the case with a lot of educated, upper-middle class Indians. A national magazine here "India Today" had recently carried a story of several families in the metropolitan cities of India who have changed track for the better with the advent of the web.

Thanks.

--Anjali Arora

©   Texts are the property of individual authors

Date: index | prev | next     Thread: index | prev | next     Author index

home  |  theme  |  modalities  |  documentation / statements  |  evaluation  |  links

Forum of the House of World Cultures, Berlin, on the use of Internet in the cultural exchange with and between Africa, Asia/Pacific and Latin America.

Project direction: Gerhard Haupt - haupt@uinic.de
©  House of World Cultures, Berlin. 1998