||The Site and its History
The House of World Cultures is located in the middle of the new government district of Berlin, at the old Unter den Zelten square, in the Tiergarten. The square has an interesting history. In the 17th century, it was the site of the game preserves and pleasure grounds of the Brandenburg Electors. During the March Revolution of 1848, Unter den Zelten became a synonym for heated political debates. The festival halls and the district around the square were devastated during the Second World War. In the 1950s, a new chapter began with the construction of a congress hall on this site. From 1956 to 1980, international conferences, cultural events and exhibitions were held in the new building, which is one of Berlins architectural landmarks. In 1988, the House of World Cultures revived the tradition of holding international encounters at the former Congress Hall, which is now a prominent centre for cultural exchanges.
1772 The Zeltenplatz