Under Frederic the Great (1712-86) the Tiergarten - the Court game preserve and pleasure ground situated at the gates of Berlin - was redesigned by the architect Knobelsdorff. From 1745 on, the entertainment of guests was permitted in marquees on the square during the summer months. This pleasure ground near Berlin soon came to be known as the Zeltenplatz or Unter den Zelten (Marquee Square or Among the Marquees).
From 1786 on, vendors providing food, drink and entertainment were allowed to erect permanent buildings on the site. As a result, Frederic William II (1744-97) was now able to invite the ladies to a wafer on the premiere promenade de Berlin.